Hello & welcome back after half-term!
It is International Week at Garrick Green & we have been having a wonderful time learning about Kenya.
- been on a plane to visit the different continents
- been on a safari
- found out if animals are herbivores, omnivores or carnivores
- read the story of Handa’s Surprise
- tasted different fruits
- made a tally chart
- made a block graph
- made a fruit kebab
- done African drumming with Lindsay
- compared the weather in Norwich with the weather in Nairobi
- looked at atlases and maps
- done puzzles of the world map
- learnt about the Maasai tribe
- designed and made Maasai-inspired jewelry
- and more!
We have been doing phonics and mental maths every day too.
Things you could do at home:
- Research another African country
- Look in some information books to find out about your favourite Kenyan animal
- Work with an adult to make a fruit salad using fruit from the story Handa’s Surprise
- Look at the labels on fruit to see where they have come from
- Make an A-Z of fruit
- See if you can find out where different fruits grow e.g. on bushes, on trees etc.
- Watch a programme: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/mystory
- Find out about herbivore, omnivores and carnivores: https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/articles/z96vb9q
- Write a thank you letter from Akeyo to Handa for the lovely tangerines